Skip to main content

SNAKE EYES OR SEVEN

Ya know sometimes life feels like a crap-shoot. You plan and plan and fate gives you a hand you didn’t plan for. I like to think that is what makes this existence interesting but sometimes it can take a toll on your soul. I mean here I am struggling to make my dream a reality 3 years after walking away from a great career and comfortable life. Now don’t misunderstand, my life now is still great. Next month I plan to spend a week in Johannesburg experiencing one of the greatest sporting events on this planet, The World Cup but the goal of me leaving advertising was to make it as an artist and it still feels out of reach. The time I SHOULD be spending to make it happen is spent working to pay the bills.

I won’t let this blog post spiral into a rant about how hard my life is. Too many people don’t have jobs and will never experience the things I have been fortunate enough to call memories. It’s just sometimes the weight of your dreams can feel like a burden. I guess that’s why so many of us never take the risk to chase them.

I’ve come to believe that quote from Friedrich Nietzsche, “Whatever doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.” My time working in the airline industry has helped me develop the more aggressive parts of my personality which was needed for a such a nice guy to help shape his future.

The quality of your life is not shaped by the events in it, it’s shaped by how you choose to react to it. I am propelled by need to succeed not by the fear of failure. I have learned to embrace failure because within each misstep is a valuable lesson.

I am on the verge of self-publishing a long awaited book of poetry which will serve as a vehicle for some of my shots and hopefully be the first of a series of books. I am in talks with an accomplished producer about my script about the advertising world that I hope to develop or sell. We will no doubt also work on a project about the airlines if all goes well.

I have so much talent that feel OBLIGATED to produce.

I am often reminded of the parable of the talents in the bible. We are all given talents some more some less but we are all expected to produce. To whom much is given, much is expected.

So although things seem difficult now, I will turn my snakes eyes into a seven because I know I can.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OCCUPY WALL STREET IS GOOD FOR AMERICA

Like a lot of fellow Americans and people all over the world I have been following the progression of this movement.  My last blog addressed why the need for movements like this exist but now I am blogging in response to various claims that these protestors are anti-capitalist and therefore Un-American. So let’s start with the definition of Capitalism.  Unfortunately there is no static universal agreement except for certain elements which include; private ownership of development, manufacturing and distribution of goods and services for profit in a market where prices and wages are set by competition. We’ve all heard about Supply and Demand, well COMPETITION is the heart of Supply and Demand. The other important component of the idea of Capitalism is the expectation that it encourages Economic growth.  One last defining point before I jump into it.   As a student of economics I cling to the portion of the idea dealing with Free Markets which c...

The Year of MATH

Hmm... it's been a busy year. I didn't make any entries into this blog. But I did start another focusing on my photograpy. 2012 has been a year of math. Who would have expected this year's presidential race to be so dominated by numbers with special attention paid to percentages.  Let's start with my favorite GOP comedian this year; Pizza mogul Herman Cain. Like a deranged George Jefferson , Herman proposed a simplistic solution to our complicated tax code, he called, his 9-9-9 plan .  I won't go into detail here except to say it was reported to sound very much like the 9-9-9 plan of the SIM City video game. Herman finally suspended his campaign after dropping to about 8% support. The gaping chasm between the ultra rich and the rest of us was a major point of contention and the subject of several of my blog posts. The growing discontent gave rise to the Occupy movement and the division of America into the 99% and ... obviously the 1% .  The movement g...

TRAYVON

W hat we witnessed last night July 13, 2013 doesn't even come close to resembling justice yet it’s the system we live under; a system that is sending a clear and not so subtle message that people of color are not equally protected under the law. Do not tell me this wasn't racial. Do not insult my intelligence with fairy tales of equality designed to lull  disenfranchised masses into compliance. If the ethnicities had been reversed the Sanford police department would NOT have had to yield to pressure to arrest the shooter, it would have been done. By and large when the shooter looks like me he is arrested or shot in haste. And for those that believe because Zimmerman has Hispanic roots it negates the race issue, I’ll remind you that this country is all about PERCEPTION . You ARE what you appear to be. Your book IS judged by its cover. And to the disgrace of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr’s dream, you are prejudged by the color of your skin way before most can even get t...