Skip to main content

Back In the Saddle

Ok so I haven’t blogged in a while but it’s certainly not for lack of subject matter. We are living in the truly historic times; times that our grandchildren will ask us with wonder what it was like to be alive then.

After stepping back from the brink of what appeared to be economic oblivion on a global scale, America is remaking herself… she is engaged in the most epic make-over which started with the election of Barack Obama and was punctuated with the passage of the health-care bill, both monumental historic events.

Blogging about the fantastic meal I had at Dinosaur BBQ in Harlem a couple of days ago just seems too trivial for these times. I mean President Obama is signing nuclear disarmament treaties, Supreme Court Justice Stevens is stepping down and the Stock market is moving into really strong territory again but all I can think about is that brisket, chicken and ribs that was smoked to perfection before being slow cooked and anointed with a savory thick sauce that was the very definition BBQ. Add to that mix a Cajun style potato salad, delicious mac and cheese and some baked beans that would make any western cook sing it’s praises and you got a meal that ranks up there with world events.

If cowboys ate like this the West would have been lost not won because they would all be fat and sleeping. Oh… did I mention the cheese-cake that came with a separate container of whiskey caramel sauce to drizzle over it. MMMMmmm.

What a meal, and sharing it with friends just made it all the more enjoyable. I’m going to tell this story often to my grandkids.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OCCUPY WALL STREET IS GOOD FOR AMERICA

Like a lot of fellow Americans and people all over the world I have been following the progression of this movement.  My last blog addressed why the need for movements like this exist but now I am blogging in response to various claims that these protestors are anti-capitalist and therefore Un-American. So let’s start with the definition of Capitalism.  Unfortunately there is no static universal agreement except for certain elements which include; private ownership of development, manufacturing and distribution of goods and services for profit in a market where prices and wages are set by competition. We’ve all heard about Supply and Demand, well COMPETITION is the heart of Supply and Demand. The other important component of the idea of Capitalism is the expectation that it encourages Economic growth.  One last defining point before I jump into it.   As a student of economics I cling to the portion of the idea dealing with Free Markets which c...

The Year of MATH

Hmm... it's been a busy year. I didn't make any entries into this blog. But I did start another focusing on my photograpy. 2012 has been a year of math. Who would have expected this year's presidential race to be so dominated by numbers with special attention paid to percentages.  Let's start with my favorite GOP comedian this year; Pizza mogul Herman Cain. Like a deranged George Jefferson , Herman proposed a simplistic solution to our complicated tax code, he called, his 9-9-9 plan .  I won't go into detail here except to say it was reported to sound very much like the 9-9-9 plan of the SIM City video game. Herman finally suspended his campaign after dropping to about 8% support. The gaping chasm between the ultra rich and the rest of us was a major point of contention and the subject of several of my blog posts. The growing discontent gave rise to the Occupy movement and the division of America into the 99% and ... obviously the 1% .  The movement g...

TRAYVON

W hat we witnessed last night July 13, 2013 doesn't even come close to resembling justice yet it’s the system we live under; a system that is sending a clear and not so subtle message that people of color are not equally protected under the law. Do not tell me this wasn't racial. Do not insult my intelligence with fairy tales of equality designed to lull  disenfranchised masses into compliance. If the ethnicities had been reversed the Sanford police department would NOT have had to yield to pressure to arrest the shooter, it would have been done. By and large when the shooter looks like me he is arrested or shot in haste. And for those that believe because Zimmerman has Hispanic roots it negates the race issue, I’ll remind you that this country is all about PERCEPTION . You ARE what you appear to be. Your book IS judged by its cover. And to the disgrace of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr’s dream, you are prejudged by the color of your skin way before most can even get t...