Skip to main content

My Inspirational Week

Well it’s Sunday and looking back on my week and I realize that I have a pretty amazing life. Now I know that may sound a bit arrogant but it’s true.

Last Sunday my family took my mom out for mothers day, I had a hearty meal and decided to walk home from the restaurant which was a little over 4 miles… did it in an hour and half.

Tuesday I flew to Spain, business class which is the only way to fly…lol, to chill with a friend and help her move some stuff back to the US. Saw the new X-Men movie in one of the only English theaters in Madrid.

Thursday got a bottle of desert wine on the way back from one of the friendly flight attendants.

Friday watched the new Star Trek movie in Queens NY.

Saturday met Cedric the Entertainer and Kareem Abdul Jabar (man he’s tall)

And today, Sunday escorted and made small talk with the revered Arch-Bishop Desmond Tutu and his wife, who blessed me twice. I’m not a fan by nature, I treat celebrities like regular people and don’t get all crazy but it was a genuine honor to meet the Arch-Bishop and to be able to share some time with him. I was struck by how real he is especially when approached by a fellow South African citizen who was almost moved to tears as she thanked him for all he has done and was eager to introduce her husband.

But the strongest impression I came away with was the interaction between he and his wife as he looked at her and one point asked, “Miss Tutu how are you doing” and her response summed it all up “Doing well Arch.” It made me smile because I knew I had just shared/witnessed a moment with such a great humanitarian, such an outspoken critic against apartheid, winner of the Nobel Peace prize among other great accomplishments and staunch opponent to the humans right violations in Tibet… at that moment he was just a husband and he was comfortable enough to just be.

What a week. What a LIFE!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OCCUPY WALL STREET IS GOOD FOR AMERICA

Like a lot of fellow Americans and people all over the world I have been following the progression of this movement.  My last blog addressed why the need for movements like this exist but now I am blogging in response to various claims that these protestors are anti-capitalist and therefore Un-American. So let’s start with the definition of Capitalism.  Unfortunately there is no static universal agreement except for certain elements which include; private ownership of development, manufacturing and distribution of goods and services for profit in a market where prices and wages are set by competition. We’ve all heard about Supply and Demand, well COMPETITION is the heart of Supply and Demand. The other important component of the idea of Capitalism is the expectation that it encourages Economic growth.  One last defining point before I jump into it.   As a student of economics I cling to the portion of the idea dealing with Free Markets which c...

The Year of MATH

Hmm... it's been a busy year. I didn't make any entries into this blog. But I did start another focusing on my photograpy. 2012 has been a year of math. Who would have expected this year's presidential race to be so dominated by numbers with special attention paid to percentages.  Let's start with my favorite GOP comedian this year; Pizza mogul Herman Cain. Like a deranged George Jefferson , Herman proposed a simplistic solution to our complicated tax code, he called, his 9-9-9 plan .  I won't go into detail here except to say it was reported to sound very much like the 9-9-9 plan of the SIM City video game. Herman finally suspended his campaign after dropping to about 8% support. The gaping chasm between the ultra rich and the rest of us was a major point of contention and the subject of several of my blog posts. The growing discontent gave rise to the Occupy movement and the division of America into the 99% and ... obviously the 1% .  The movement g...

TRAYVON

W hat we witnessed last night July 13, 2013 doesn't even come close to resembling justice yet it’s the system we live under; a system that is sending a clear and not so subtle message that people of color are not equally protected under the law. Do not tell me this wasn't racial. Do not insult my intelligence with fairy tales of equality designed to lull  disenfranchised masses into compliance. If the ethnicities had been reversed the Sanford police department would NOT have had to yield to pressure to arrest the shooter, it would have been done. By and large when the shooter looks like me he is arrested or shot in haste. And for those that believe because Zimmerman has Hispanic roots it negates the race issue, I’ll remind you that this country is all about PERCEPTION . You ARE what you appear to be. Your book IS judged by its cover. And to the disgrace of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr’s dream, you are prejudged by the color of your skin way before most can even get t...