Skip to main content

Chasing Dreams

So you find yourself in your 30’s making it in the real world and you wake up one day and realize that life didn’t turn out exactly how you expected it to. I mean it’s ok but “they” didn’t tell you that even if you follow all the rules you won’t make everyone happy and get everything you’ve ever wanted.

Then you remember the dreams you had as a much younger person. Dreams of being a pilot, or a rock star or an artist and you look at all the bullshit you’ve accumulated over the years that require you to stay at that 9 to 5 that fills your week and I ain’t just talking about that antique looking chest from Pottery Barn, no, I mean expectations from your family and peers, responsibilities like car payments and mortgages and for some of us the ultimate… a family. And just like that you start to feel trapped, with little or no options.

The movie “Fight Club” comes to mind when the lead character deals with the malaise and monotony of his unfulfilled life by splitting his personality into two to create Tyler Durden who fire bombs his condo destroying all his sweet Scandinavian press-wood furniture, basically giving him the “license” to follow his dreams despite the obvious breach of contract we all adhere to in polite society.


Too extreme for you? Not for me baby. Now don’t get me wrong… all my personalities are integrated and intact and I LOVE my Coop with it’s Pottery Barn wine cabinet and press-wood Ikea bookcase but I realized that any meaningful change needs some aspect of extreme action otherwise it ain’t gonna take hold… it just ain’t. We’re naturally drawn to what is familiar and comfortable. So if I was going to chase my dreams… I could NOT “half-ass” it and treat it like a hobby, I had to go all out and let my passion replace my comfort.

This all sounds romantic as the protagonist listens to his true inner voice… Carpe Deum and all that plus I gotta admit I enjoy playing the noble hero but walking away from a stable career and from the security of a steady paycheck to follow my passion WAS NOT easy, despite how inspiring it might sound. If you’ve done it before then you know you’re filled with constant self-doubt, I plan and plan and don’t pull the trigger nearly enough because I realize that I’m no longer reading from a script… I’m writing the fucking thing. Life is “live TV” with no second takes and I’m now the star, the producer and the director so if the show bombs I have NO-ONE to point the finger at but me… I get all the glory and ALL the blame.

That my friend is some heavy shit to carry and I think it’s the main reason why so many people don’t quit that miserable job that keeps them in a tiny cubicle for 40 hours a week like a worker-bee in some corporate hive and follow their heart. It IS the reason why I took so long to finally say “fuck it” I’m gonna do it.
I walked away from a promising career in the Ad world, working on brands like Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz, and MCI to become an artist/photographer. Wow… man just writing that was a little emotional… am I crazy? Am I completely insane? Well I might be but for the first time in a long time I feel alive and yeah I know it sounds corny but who the hell cares.

In 2006 I worked my ass off to develop my website, get my name out there through various gallery shows in Red Hook and Chelsea and now my “day job” allows me to travel almost anywhere to get some of the best shots in the world. No I’m not a photojournalist but who would have thought I’d be able to get killer shots of the Sphinx or majestic shots of the Eiffel Tower but that is where my path has lead me and although life is not as comfortable as it was before, I’m following my own rules, making myself happy and I have a sense of purpose that I hope you can see in my shots.

I’ve been blessed with the talent to make it happen and with friends that think like me. To Jane B, who reorganized her life after a painful divorce, packed up and moved to Madrid... alone as an English teacher and to my young comrade Sixz who has been chasing his dream as a musician since very young and helped me to see that passion is the recognition of “what we are wired to do" in this life… I say thank you.

Hoorah for everyone with balls enough to chase the dream… hoorah for me baby.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hey, very nice site you have.
Enjoyed your photography, especaily the night shots.

Regards, Ray.
A close friend of your cuz Lester from Leicester. LOL.

Popular posts from this blog

OCCUPY WALL STREET IS GOOD FOR AMERICA

Like a lot of fellow Americans and people all over the world I have been following the progression of this movement.  My last blog addressed why the need for movements like this exist but now I am blogging in response to various claims that these protestors are anti-capitalist and therefore Un-American. So let’s start with the definition of Capitalism.  Unfortunately there is no static universal agreement except for certain elements which include; private ownership of development, manufacturing and distribution of goods and services for profit in a market where prices and wages are set by competition. We’ve all heard about Supply and Demand, well COMPETITION is the heart of Supply and Demand. The other important component of the idea of Capitalism is the expectation that it encourages Economic growth.  One last defining point before I jump into it.   As a student of economics I cling to the portion of the idea dealing with Free Markets which c...

The Year of MATH

Hmm... it's been a busy year. I didn't make any entries into this blog. But I did start another focusing on my photograpy. 2012 has been a year of math. Who would have expected this year's presidential race to be so dominated by numbers with special attention paid to percentages.  Let's start with my favorite GOP comedian this year; Pizza mogul Herman Cain. Like a deranged George Jefferson , Herman proposed a simplistic solution to our complicated tax code, he called, his 9-9-9 plan .  I won't go into detail here except to say it was reported to sound very much like the 9-9-9 plan of the SIM City video game. Herman finally suspended his campaign after dropping to about 8% support. The gaping chasm between the ultra rich and the rest of us was a major point of contention and the subject of several of my blog posts. The growing discontent gave rise to the Occupy movement and the division of America into the 99% and ... obviously the 1% .  The movement g...

TRAYVON

W hat we witnessed last night July 13, 2013 doesn't even come close to resembling justice yet it’s the system we live under; a system that is sending a clear and not so subtle message that people of color are not equally protected under the law. Do not tell me this wasn't racial. Do not insult my intelligence with fairy tales of equality designed to lull  disenfranchised masses into compliance. If the ethnicities had been reversed the Sanford police department would NOT have had to yield to pressure to arrest the shooter, it would have been done. By and large when the shooter looks like me he is arrested or shot in haste. And for those that believe because Zimmerman has Hispanic roots it negates the race issue, I’ll remind you that this country is all about PERCEPTION . You ARE what you appear to be. Your book IS judged by its cover. And to the disgrace of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr’s dream, you are prejudged by the color of your skin way before most can even get t...